Sunday, August 11, 2013

Week 2 Reflection

I enjoyed this week!  The videos helped to confirm my understanding about action research.  The 9  areas Dana describes as major wonderings of school leaders were insightful.   They made me think about many different action research ideas.  But the best part of the week was choosing my action research project.  When I met with my site supervisor for my internship plan in 5311, I already had an idea about what I wanted my ARP to be.  Below is how I answered part 3 of week 2 assignment. 

Three possible topics for my action research included:  how to reduce office referrals, how vertical collaboration effects student learning and improving behavior on the buses.  My principal and I weighed the pros and cons for each and talked about who each topic would involve (i.e. transportation department, other teachers, students, etc.). We brainstormed how each topic would be presented in the form of a question.  We also thought about which would blend most easily into a school day.  After discussing the multiple topics, my site supervisor and I decided the most measureable topic was the vertical collaboration and the effects on student learning.  This topic aligns with how we are attempting to improve our campus.  The expectation of vertical collaboration is already in place, making an easier introduction.  The plan is to have the 4th and 5th grade math teachers work together to plan our campus “Target Time”.  This is time set aside each day to provide intervention and enrichment.  The hope is to provide a deeper skill set and enable the students to apply and transfer their knowledge.  Blending the grade levels during this block of time enables teachers to work with the students at their individual ability; therefore, allowing each student to progress. 

I am eager to start the school year and implement both my internship plan and my action research.

No comments:

Post a Comment